The village situated in Székely Land is a twin town of Biatorbágy from 2001. The Gyergyó Basin, in which Gyergyóremete is situated, is the northernmost, highest and has the coldest winters (average temperature in January: –6 °C, but temperatures as low as –35 °C are not rare) among the larger basins in Székely Land. The meteorological station in Gyergyóalfalu measured a national cold record in Romania on several occasions. It is the source Basin of the River Maros, surrounded by the volcanic ranges of the Hargita – the Görgényi Alps – the Kelemen Alps.

Gyergyóremete is one of the larger villages in Gyergyó. Its name was first mentioned in 1567. It was one of the famous raft departure points for rafting on the River Maros. It has been joined together with Ditró on the right bank of the River Maros, to which it belonged by the Church until 1726, when the church of Gyergyóremete was granted parish status. In 1567 6 gates were recorded, in 1641 26 families, a century later, in 1720 117 families lived there. It had 5105 inhabitants in 1990, 6796 in 1930, and 7300 in 1941. The rate of ever-present migration, emigration was the highest after that. In the 1990s the number of inhabitants stagnated at around 6500. The area of Gyergyóremete is 9499 hectares, its inner area is at 725-730 meters above sea level, its highest point is Keresztkő, at 1517 meters. Its Roman Catholic church was built at the end of the 18th century in Baroque style, and was dedicated to the honour of Bishop Saint Leonard. In the 1940s churches were built in Csutakfalva (dedicated to Saint Margaret of the Árpád Dynasty) and in Kicsibükk (dedicated to Saint Stephen). In the southern part of the village, on the right bank of the River Maros there is a spa with acidulous water, the water of which contains calcium, magnesium, iron, some hydrogen sulphide, and, naturally, carbonic acid as well (=acidulous water). It is used both for drinking and bathing. Industrial monuments: a fulling mill built in 1725 along the Stream Eszenyő, as well as a „water saw”. Under the harsh circumstances only cattle farming and timber cutting and processing provided a means of living through diligent, hard and clever work, which was supplemented once with acidulous water trading and sheep farming, and nowadays with potato and vegetable production. The village does not have any major industrial units, it has only a powdered milk plant built in the 1950s and still in operation, which makes use of the traditional cattle farming. The first data on its school date back to 1763, between 1962 and 1972 a secondary school also operated there. Zoltán Kodály, during his collecting tour in Csík county, collected many folk songs in Gyergyóremete as well. The collecting of folk songs was continued by others, who managed to record some „new” folk songs or versions from those migrating to Torbágy. From the famous sons of Gyergyóremete both Jenő Balázs, a prominent figure of bauxite exploration and the aluminium industry between the two world wars, and the writer Tibor Cseres, who died recently, worked on the territory of the present Hungary. At the time of the anniversary of the war of independence of 1848-49 the legendary actions of the bear hunter Imre Bernád, who was strong, but used his brain and tricks as well, and János Balás, who was also famous for his strength and courage, are also worthy of mention.

For further information on Gyergyóremete, visit: